Shared Experience — Voices Against Terrorism
With this initiative we empower our members to take a stand against terrorism and its effects by:
- Participating in exchange sessions with Oklahoma City bombing survivors, survivors of terrorism in Israel through our friendship with Strength to Strength
- Reaching out to victims of Terrorism from around the world.
- Planning and Organizing and participating in the International Congress of Victims of Terrorism.
- Participating in events at the Tolerance Center.
- Doing joint events with organizations such as Seeds for Peace.
- Speaking out about the consequences of terrorism and its effects.
- World Trade Center Survivors' Network and One Heart Foundation sponsored a special screening of a documentary movie made by Jack and Fran Baxter, two survivors of terrorism in Isreal, called "Blues by the Beach". (More on our activities with One Heart)
- Several of our members will travel to Oklahoma City to take part in the Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon.
- Our members attended the 10th Anniversary commemorations of the Oklahoma City Bombing. (2006)
- We held a Candlelight Service in Battery Park to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the Oklahoma City Bombing.
- We were invited by the Office of the New York State Attorney General and the Downstate Crime Victims Coalition to be a candlelighter at the Crime Victims Candlelight Vigil to honor and remember loved ones lost to violence and salute survivors.
- Together with September Space and the Memorial Institute for the Prevention of Terrorism (MIPT), WTCSN organized the Forum of Communities for a Resilient Tomorrow. A three day event aimed to bring together members of the different communities from both Oklahoma and New York/Washington D.C to share experiences as we fulfill our commitment to peace, unity and giving. This forum focussed on the need to share some of the lessons learned and ensure they will not be forgotten. The Forum also illustrated how our counterparts in Oklahoma have become the guiding light for those of affected by the events of September 11th.